In this episode we are going to hone the skill of being your own DJ or what is known as a Disk Jockey. We can learn a lot from DJs. They are the folks who host radio shows. They have honed the skill of weaving us along on a musical ride that at times can have us singing out loud in our cars with reckless abandon or weeping tears when one perfect song rolls into another.
DJ’s know it is all about The Perfect Transitions.
What do I mean by a transition?
Transitions are what you do in between two moments in time.
Here is a basic list to give you the gist of what I mean
- sleeping to waking
- going to work
- coming home from work
- changing tasks
- engaging in conversation
- welcoming a person into your home
- discussing a difficult conversation
- moving on from a difficult conversation
Everything that we do during every waking hour involves a transition, whether you are aware or it or not.
Sure you can ignore the transition, but to do so you give away the opportunity to provide direction for how you would like the day to proceed.
Are you willing to do that? I’m thinking not. Surely if you have gotten this far, you are someone who wants to live life well and have a positive effect on your life.
We discuss two types of transitions in this episode:
- Base Transitions: what we do on a daily basis that propels us forward.
- Getting up and out of the house in the morning
- Getting to work on time
2. Conversational Transitions: how we begin or end a conversation
- picking the right time to have a chat
- knowing when to take a step back and pause when tempers are flaring
3. Trip Transitions: “Arrrgh, why did I wait the night before to pack for my week long vacation!”
We go through all three types of transitions in this episode and look at how Awareness and Preparation can go a long way towards making our transitions in life go smoothly.
Follow this podcast on Twitter @leadingchaospodcast